Monday, March 1, 2010

Dr. Seuss - Happy Birthday Tribute with LEGOs


As a child, and now as an adult, the prose of the late Theodor Geisel, or Dr. Seuss, still bring a smile to my face and a lighteness to my heart at each reading.

That's why I knew no childrens' book on prosperity could be complete without reference to the great storyteller, Dr. Seuss. He may not have talked much of riches and money, but he sure did speak to the right way to live.

I chose his famous quotation and the LEGO photo (included on page 17 of my book, "Building Blocks of Prosperity") because so often we see children kicking and screaming as they leave someplace that was making them very happy just moments before.

"Time to go!" That's usually when it starts.

Children live so "in-the-moment" that they can quickly turn the smiles into tears. Sure, we understand that it's no fun to be leaving someplace fun. But that's part of life.

Children (and adults) need to learn to focus on, and be grateful for what they have. They need to stop concentrating on, and making themselves sad, over what they don't have. I think this quote from Dr. Seuss is so important.

Beyond that,I loved his stories because they always made you wish you were there.

"OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
THERE IS FUN TO BE DONE! THERE ARE
POINTS TO BE SCORED. THERE ARE GAMES TO BE WON."
From: Oh, The Places You'll Go! 


Children can learn so much from reading his stories.  Not the least of which is the joy of reading.
And what a perfect time to remember as we approach  "Read Across America Day"

Here's a very useful poem I found for young readers too as we celebrate...

The Readers Oath which sounds very "Seuss-like"

I promise to read / Each day and each night.
I know it's the key / To growing up right.
I'll read to myself, / I'll read to a crowd.
It makes no difference / If silent or loud.
I'll read at my desk, / At home and at school,
On my bean bag or bed, / By the fire or pool.
Each book that I read
Puts smarts in my head,
'Cause brains grow more thoughts
The more they are fed.
So I take this oath
To make reading my way
Of feeding my brain
What it needs every day.

from the  National Education Association

And here's an interesting site to learn more about the great "Dr. Seuss"
http://www.catinthehat.org/

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
Robert Schwarztrauber

No comments:

Post a Comment